Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Pigs....

Well really hogs now...they are all pushing about 300 pounds...These are the best hogs I have ever raised...I have I water trough and 2 feed troughs....this morning I went down a little later than usual to feed them...it has been misting and raining all day...one of their feed troughs was at least 5 foot from the fence and turned over...I only had on tennis shoes so I used the one trouth that was upright but pushed at least 4 foot from the fence that I lean over to feed them..I feed them 3 times today. The last time was just about an hour ago..... so tomorrow
 Morning I will get up and put on my hog waders boots....get a pair of washable gloves that look a lot like Tyson gloves and wade into the hog pond... which is what their pen looks like.  I will wade out there in the mud and crud and reposition my 2 feed trouths.  And i will fill them full..if I have any sence I will take more wire to wire the trouths to a post by the fence...even with all protective  attire I will smell pig dung all day no matter how much I wash...lol.. but I do love those hogs..

Year before last I had a big pig...maybe over 250 pounds that I found coughing one morning when I went to fed...I watched it for almost an hour...it just kept coughing and finally laid down...  my thought was ...I'm going to have to butcher this darn thing I thought he ate plastic or a wire....so I am thinking...ok I have come alongs... there is a strong tree there...I can use the tractor to get the come along chain high in the tree...
Only problem was I did not have anything sharper than a steak knife to butcher him with.... well after just a while he was was just fine...but you better believe I was on the phone to ole Tony telling him i need a sharp knife...he brought me a sharp case knife and kelly threw in a stone to sharpen it.  So I keep it sharp....just in case..I have never butchered one by myself but you bet I could do it...need to check you tube....lol

Just fyi...gilbert sharpens knives on a dry stone...but not me...i spit on it just like Daddy used to...i even set in the rocker to do it cause the light is better by the window...it will shave hair off my arm...that's the true test to a sharp knife according to Willis Powell.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

I am not envious of you today. Swimming in liquid pig manure does not sound great and it will be icy manure.