Total Pageviews

Friday, March 24, 2017

Farmers....

The backbone of our nation...and a dying breed..
Till the day my daddy died if you ask him his occupation he would have said farmer. Even though he had not farmed in years.

Today I have another question about raising the pigs. I was just almost sure daddy used to soak the corn in water before he gave it to the pigs. I ask Kelly about this a few weeks ago and he said oh no no need to do that. But I noticed after the rain that fell into the corn in the pig trough they had eaten most of that corn.

so today I called the only farmer
we have left in our family in my opinion , Tony. I ask Tony about soaking the corn. And he said yes it makes it go father makes it softer so the pigs eat it better and Grandpa probably did do that. So I took his advice today dump fifty pounds of it into a plastic trash can covered it with water and soon I'll have sour mash. Now this might be a plus two ways cuz I think that's the start of how you make some kind of liquor not too sure about that.

With this going on it made me think. Tony may be the only farmer that we have left and our family. Gary isn't. Gilbert really is not much of a farmer and neither is Kelly. Sammy is not. Fleta s boys are not. My Boy Billy certainly is not. Gilbert's boy  Willis in not. Junior's boy is not. We are a Dying Breed here. We three girls probably know more about farming than any of our children. We still have hope for Tony's boy.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

If we are farmers....all is hopeless!! Lol